Skip to main content

Adding some COLOR to the kitchen!

Hello all! Hope your weekend was wonderful! Our weather continues to be oddly warm and is supposed to be near 70 this weekend! I can't remember a weirder winter in Indiana. It's been awesome, but I do wonder if the winter weather is going to hit in March. 😬

I've mentioned a few times I've slowly adding more color into our home lately. I was craving it in the new year and have been making small, easy changes to do just that. One spot in our kitchen was calling out for it -- the window seat (one of my favorite spots in our home):
Window seat in bay window

You can see all of the details on how it was built here. I have dreamed of a window seat in my home for most of my life, and now we have two! :) 

As you can tell, I love the color blue. I knew this would be a lovely spot to add in a little something more. I went shopping, not sure exactly what I was looking for, but I knew I wanted more color. I wish I had the patience to order fabrics online -- if I planned better I think I could do it but most of the time what I do fall in love with is CRAZY expensive anyway. 

SO. Went shopping. And found a combo I loved: 
Green and blue fresh fabrics for spring

The left is called Cove End Palm (Robert Allen) and the right is Gem of the Sky Indigo (P. Kaufmann), both from Calico Corners. Although the print still had a lot of blue, it had plenty of other colors to pull from too. I wanted to mix in one more fabric as well but didn't find anything I loved.

When I got home and got the pillows finished up, I realized two sets of the previous pillows worked great with the new ones. I ended up keeping all of them: 
Mixing and matching fabrics

The blue stripe was previously a larger pillow and I cut them down and made them smaller to match the rest. 

When I saw them all together I was in love! I still have my blue but with some more color thrown in too:
Blue, green and white pillow combo

And I can easily add something else with more color if/when I find another fabric I love. Pillows are SUCH an easy way to change up your decor -- whether you make them or buy! I think they are one of my favorite decorating accessories. 

I also love having more pillows on the seat -- it feels like I should have always had this amount because of the size: 
Kitchen window seat with pillows and sconces

Their similar size works much better too. I know many of you want me to put a cushion on here and I will eventually -- it's definitely the plan. A friend was going to make it but with the shape of the seat she didn't feel confident. She recommended someone else but I know it will be an investment. Now I'm considering trying it myself. We'll see. :) For now I don't mind it without. 

I had to laugh because when I made the first few pillows for this seat years ago I had green mixed in. The fabric was slightly more modern and I used lumbar pillows, so I ended up switching to the square sizes. I absolutely LOVE green and blue together! It's such a lovely combo! 

The blue with the pinstripe is fabric from Joann's (they still carry it) and the white with the large stripe were made from West Elm napkins. Here's a photo with our Valentine's banner up. :)
Built in window seat with pillows

New throw pillows are an easy way to update your space, don't you agree? When I'm craving a change that's my first stop. 

I've shared a bunch of easy pillow ideas over the years! Check out the link below each picture to find out more!
Inexpensive DIY seasonal pillows

How I make Pottery Barn pillows for cheap!

Basic pillow sewing tutorial -- it's easier than you think!

Easy way to make pillows -- with placemats!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY stacked stone fireplace (where there was none!)

Well hello! I have a BIG reveal for you today! I worked so hard on this basement fireplace and I'm so so SO thrilled it's done. I'm excited to share it with you today! I took a ridiculous amount of photos so bear with me. :)  I'll show you where we started first! We have this little bump out in our basement and from day one we knew what we wanted to do with it. When we finished the basement years ago we went ahead and bought an electric fireplace for that spot. It sat on a bench for four years. 😁 A few months ago we decided to have the fireplace built in since the whole space was torn up for the new floors anyway:  Then I was craving a little more traditional look so we had the hearth added along with a mantel:  Then it was time for me to do the rest! I knew I needed to stain the mantel and hearth before I tiled -- it would have gotten all over the tile otherwise. I sanded both down and then cleaned them really well. A wet paper towel does fine:  I ALWAYS use a pre...

The bright and light mudroom makeover is complete!

As many of you know, it can take me eons to finish up a room makeover. It's usually because of two things -- we pay cash for everything so I only make updates as the budget allows. And since I try to do most of it myself, it just takes longer than it would if I hired out. I don't mind this usually because I think I make better decisions when I take my time.  I'll take even longer if it's a room we don't use often (like our guest room) or one that we use mostly (and guests don't see) so I'm not as concerned about it getting finished up quickly. I've been working on our mudroom for more than three years now -- well, even longer than that if you consider all of our changes -- but I've been making updates for a few years to get it the way I want it.  And it's FINALLY DONE. Whoot! You may have seen the most dramatic changes I shared last fall, but I wasn't calling it done till we got the storage shelf built and finished up. Now it's finished...

The best online resources to improve your blog

Hello there my friends! It's almost the weekend, whoot! I hope your week has gone beautifully! I used to share a lot of blogging tips and have stopped doing that as much over the years. I was reminded at a conference last year that SO MANY of you are interested in blogging or have already started one and the advice would be welcomed. So I'm determined to be better about sharing again! I'll be going on my tenth year of blogging in just a few months and I still can hardly believe it. Truly the BEST, most amazing job I've ever had. I pinch myself every day. I still have SO much to learn as this business is constantly changing, but I do have a lot under my belt that I can share. :) I'm sharing the six online resources I use nearly every day to run my business. They are so helpful for different reasons and I'll go into each. Most are free for the basic use! 1. PicMonkey for photo editing I don't use anything fancy to edit my photos. I love photography and it was...