Skip to main content

Finished window seat, ship lap walls and craftsman trim in the loft!

OK, well I lied. ;) I said I wasn't going to share more of the loft redo for a week or so but I was a beast this weekend. I mean, BEAST. We didn't have much planned so it was great to have tons of time to dedicate to this space. I made some major progress that I'll share with you this week. 

My goal was to have this space done by the time school starts and my time is quickly dwindling. I'm going to try really hard to get it done but I doubt it will happen -- I lose four days out of town for a conference. Who knows? Maybe I'll pull it off. None of the remaining projects are hard, they're just busy work. 

SO. Last I left you, I had installed the baseboards throughout most of the room, including the window seat: 
Craft room makeover progress

Here's a view of the other side: 
Craft room makeover

My first project was to trim that seat out with the same trim I use all over our house. I seriously use this stuff everywhere. It's called sometimes called lattice and it's very thin. I always get pine: 
Lattice trim

Menard's has wider sizes than anywhere else I've found -- this one is 1 3/4 inches wide. The other hardware stores carry thinner sizes. You can see all the ways I've used this stuff around the house here and I also used it on our extended kitchen island. It's the perfect detail to finish off projects (and it's cheap!).

I did a simple look on the window seat -- I framed out the front and then just put three smaller vertical pieces down the front to create panels. Then I painted the whole thing in out in semi gloss paint. I use semi gloss for all trim and built ins:
Trimming out window seat

I was SO happy with it when I was finished and couldn't wait to get to the next part: 
Craft room makeover progress

I pulled out the old window sill and then trimmed out the window with my DIY craftsman trim like I showed you how to do a couple years ago. I lowered the bamboo blinds back down inside the window frame (they were hanging above the window before) and it helped tremendously. It looks so much cleaner now! 

For years I had plug in sconces flanking the windows and when I took them down the old pink paint color was still there. Plus, I used my cord covers on the wall and they had been up so long they ripped the drywall off. I knew eventually I would address it so I've left the walls like this for years. Good times. 

I'm SO happy those spots are covered up!! I used the same planked wood as for the the large wall for these smaller areas: 
DIY shiplap walls

This look will continue around the room as well. Here's a look at both sides with the new window trim:
Simple planked walls

I added some trim to the tops and each got a few coats of paint and caulk to hide any imperfections. Told you I was in beast mode. ;) I didn't work out for three days because stepping up and down off of that window seat was plenty. 

It looks SO LOVELY. I'm thrilled with the progress in this space. Here's a closer look at the simple trim on the window seat: 
Simple way to trim out built ins

And the new trim on the window: 
DIY craftsman window trim

I don't have a table saw so I had that bottom wall piece cut down and will install it today. 

I also finished up a little DIY project for that wall to the right last night, but I'll show you that later this week: 
Window seat with tons of storage

I still need to do some minor things like touch up the wall paint around the window (I had so many holes in the wall from moving drapes and art around over the years) and make or find some more pillows, but other than that this wall is done and I LOVE it. OH and cushions…not sure when those will happen though. 

Many of you asked about those pillows and I found them all at HomeGoods. I'm going for fun and a bit girly in here and the colors look beautiful against the white: 
Bright colored pillows

White shiplap walls

I worked hard on this room over the weekend…I continue to see my vision coming through and it's so fun. I've really enjoyed working on this space!

Here's a before of this corner of the room:
Cabinet storage in craft room

And here's how it looks now:
Wide planked walls

That open cabinet will get a door once I cut it down and rework it. 

Here's how this corner looked last week:
Building a long window seat
And how it looks now: 
Window seat with storage

And the wide shot, before we had the floors put down: 
Craft room redo

And the progress so far!: 
Craft room redo progress

OH my goodness, I love it! I'll share my little project on the wall to the right later this week -- any guesses what it is? :)

If you have any questions about the items or projects in this room please let me know! Here's the posts on this space so far.

  1. Removing baseboards the easy way
  2. New floors and craftsman door trim
  3. Window seat and a planked wall
  4. Scones and tons of storage

SaveSave

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The bathroom renovation has started!

It's been awhile since I've gotten down and dirty with a DIY project and I jumped back in big time with this one! It was SO fun! :)  My whole family thinks I'm nuts by the way. Husband came home from a business trip and son came home from school to this happening...they know by now to expect this.  I've talked about the changes I've wanted to make in our son's bathroom for years now. I mentioned in January that THIS was the year we were going to make it happen. My plan was to add a window in the back room first, and then determine if I wanted to take the wall down: But I knew all along I wanted to take it down...I hate it. Loathe. So yesterday I got a wild hair and did just that. Sometimes I'll sit on a project forever until I just bite the bullet and just jump in. I knew I could make some progress on this room and still have it function, so I went for it.  And man, was it fun! And messy! I loved it. :)  I knew there was some electrical in the wall, but

EASY, inexpensive and beautiful DIY spring wreath!

These are my favorite kinds of projects/posts my friends! Quick DIYs that are easy to replicate and aren't going to break the bank. This one is especially easy!  I found this tulip wreath and fell. in. LOVE with it:  But the price? Seventy dollars?? 😳 It's gorgeous but I knew I could make my own.  I gathered my supplies -- this grapevine wreath I had already. I recommend grabbing one when they're on sale (I believe this one was $5 after half off). I love these because they're SO easy to stuff with seasonal items: Then I went to Hobby Lobby because their fake flowers were half off. I grabbed way more than I needed just in case (they're usually half off every other week so I wanted to make sure I had enough):  So pretty!  I used my wire cutting pliers and started cutting the stems off the bunches:  Then you just stuff them in! It really is so easy. Just place them where you want.  I thought it looked pretty with just a couple bunches on there: But I wanted a fuller

A Mediocre Life?

I read something a few weeks ago that really spoke to me -- it was one of those articles that makes you nod your head and yell "HECK YEAH!" as you read it.  It's called What if All I Want is a Mediocre Life and you can find it here -- it's a fast read and I'll wait while you go take a look. ;)  My only hesitation with the post is the use of the word mediocre. I could not agree more with everything she said, and it describes my outlook on life well. But my life is anything but mediocre. The definition of that word is "of only moderate quality, not very good." My life and what I do with it is anything but.  I have a content life. Replace "mediocre" with "content" and I'm on board.  I am not a woman of extremes, I do not always strive to be the best I can be. I do not tackle each day with intensity. I wake up and realize I get to do what I love -- be with my family, work on my home, visit with friends and write to you all. And I fin