Skip to main content

How to create custom built ins with kitchen cabinets

Hey there! I'm back with some slight progress (but still progress) in the loft/craft room that is my project for the summer. I told you about it here and it hasn't moved as quickly as I'd like just beceuase we've been out of town so much this summer. Since I shared this room last I've had extra outlets installed and wiring for sconces run. The lights just came this morning so I'll put those up today to see how they look -- I will show you soon!

I'm building a wall of storage/desk in this room and I'm going back to my standard when creating built ins in our home -- unfinished upper kitchen cabinets. I've used these a few times in various ways throughout our house and I keep going back to it because they work every time! They always turn out looking fantastic so I'm sharing how I get them to that point today. 

I played around with the measurements and finally came up with a plan for cabinets that would fit without any reconfiguring on my part. I want this to be easy. :) This wall is about 11 feet and I am leaving room at both ends -- one end for a long window seat that will go along a wall and the other end I'm planning to leave an open spot: 
Making built ins from kitchen cabinets

I still have two more cabinets to buy but this gives you an idea. I'm leaving about six inches at the end where the wall stops because when we move someday this room could be turned into a fourth bedroom. I think it would help our value quite a bit to do that so I want to leave plenty of room for a wall to be put in there. My design for this room will work great even if this room is ever closed off. 

These are 18 inch wide by 30 inches tall -- since I add a little height the desk area will be a little higher than standard height. I've already found adjustable desk chairs that will work perfectly. :) I plan to pull these away from the wall just a bit (I'll build brackets that will attach into studs and then connect the cabinets) so that the counter area is bigger than the 12 inch depth. I'm thinking at least 18 inches. 

The first step to making kitchen uppers look like built ins is raising them up a bit. If you just put them on the ground they look out of place. I use 1x4s and nail them into the sides around the bottom of the cabinets: 
How to make cabinets into build ins

The center piece is for added support. To make these look custom I wrap the bottom with baseboards and this pulls them up off the ground so that's possible. I add scrap wood around the bottom to make it flush with the cabinet before I install the base -- otherwise your base would tilt back into the open space against the 1x4. 

When you add the base and and then some simple trim on the ends to dress it up, it gives it all a much more sophisticated look:
Using kitchen cabinets to build a bookcase

Of course the butcher block counter offers some nice contrast and makes it feel even more custom: 
Kitchen cabinets as base to bookcases

Right now I'm planning a butcher block top in the loft too, but that may change. 

This built in is in our dining room turned library and I've shared it a million times, I know. But we easily saved a couple grand by doing this project ourselves. The inexpensive cabinets make it a really affordable project!: 
DIY built ins with kitchen cabinets

It is truly the best combo of form and function -- those cabinets are only 12 inches deep but they hold a ton! (Think of how much they hold in your kitchen.)

I used the upper cabinets that go over the fridge for our mud room bench:
Mud room bench from kitchen cabinets

And my first project with these was another project I did with my Dad for my son's bedroom
Blue and red airplane room

I have Dad to thank for this idea -- he's the one who thought of it for this room and I've kind of taken off with it. :) I think the loft will be the last place I do this though -- I don't foresee anymore built ins in the house! 

Have you tried this trick to build custom built ins or bookcases? I'm thrilled with how they look in our home and I hope to share you a lot more progress in the loft very soon! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The bathroom renovation has started!

It's been awhile since I've gotten down and dirty with a DIY project and I jumped back in big time with this one! It was SO fun! :)  My whole family thinks I'm nuts by the way. Husband came home from a business trip and son came home from school to this happening...they know by now to expect this.  I've talked about the changes I've wanted to make in our son's bathroom for years now. I mentioned in January that THIS was the year we were going to make it happen. My plan was to add a window in the back room first, and then determine if I wanted to take the wall down: But I knew all along I wanted to take it down...I hate it. Loathe. So yesterday I got a wild hair and did just that. Sometimes I'll sit on a project forever until I just bite the bullet and just jump in. I knew I could make some progress on this room and still have it function, so I went for it.  And man, was it fun! And messy! I loved it. :)  I knew there was some electrical in the wall, but

EASY, inexpensive and beautiful DIY spring wreath!

These are my favorite kinds of projects/posts my friends! Quick DIYs that are easy to replicate and aren't going to break the bank. This one is especially easy!  I found this tulip wreath and fell. in. LOVE with it:  But the price? Seventy dollars?? 😳 It's gorgeous but I knew I could make my own.  I gathered my supplies -- this grapevine wreath I had already. I recommend grabbing one when they're on sale (I believe this one was $5 after half off). I love these because they're SO easy to stuff with seasonal items: Then I went to Hobby Lobby because their fake flowers were half off. I grabbed way more than I needed just in case (they're usually half off every other week so I wanted to make sure I had enough):  So pretty!  I used my wire cutting pliers and started cutting the stems off the bunches:  Then you just stuff them in! It really is so easy. Just place them where you want.  I thought it looked pretty with just a couple bunches on there: But I wanted a fuller

A Mediocre Life?

I read something a few weeks ago that really spoke to me -- it was one of those articles that makes you nod your head and yell "HECK YEAH!" as you read it.  It's called What if All I Want is a Mediocre Life and you can find it here -- it's a fast read and I'll wait while you go take a look. ;)  My only hesitation with the post is the use of the word mediocre. I could not agree more with everything she said, and it describes my outlook on life well. But my life is anything but mediocre. The definition of that word is "of only moderate quality, not very good." My life and what I do with it is anything but.  I have a content life. Replace "mediocre" with "content" and I'm on board.  I am not a woman of extremes, I do not always strive to be the best I can be. I do not tackle each day with intensity. I wake up and realize I get to do what I love -- be with my family, work on my home, visit with friends and write to you all. And I fin