Skip to main content

Chalkboard wall and open shelving in the basement!

I finally got back into the DIY groove again and it feels great! I usually take a minute (or a month. Two.) and give myself a break over the holiday and new year. But when I'm ready to go back at it...I'm ready! 

I wanted to get this project done back before December, but you know how that goes. I was excited to tackle it and yet again was thrilled to work with Minwax on this because I love their products. LOVE! I'm soooo happy with how this came together. It's just like my vision looked in my head. 

We started with a blank wall where our boy's basketball hoop used to be: 
patching holes in wall

You can see that after years of it hanging there it started to dig into the drywall from numerous dunks.  ðŸ˜‰ 

I showed you how we reconfigured the kitchenette in our basement so this area that used to be open below now has cabinets and a wine fridge. 

My first step was to patch those holes. The smaller ones I fixed using this method. The bigger stuff I filled in with putty. Not gonna lie, the final result wasn't perfect because I knew it would be hard to see later anyway. And because I can be crazy impatient. 

But I got them filled and while I waited on the compound to dry, I started marking off where I wanted my lines on the wall: 
How to tape off lines on wall

You can use a laser level for long straight lines, but for a smaller area I prefer a regular level. Just mark your lines with pencil and then you can tape off using that as a guide. 

Our walls are pretty flat so it's not too hard to get a straight line, but I always make sure to push the tape down as much as possible. A flat edge helps a ton:
Making sure painters tape doesn't bleed

I started my four coats of chalkboard paint and because I didn't want to run to the hardware store, I improvised with my paint tray: 
DIY paint tray hack

I do this quite often. :) I grabbed a box that was going to recycling, put a plastic grocery bag over it (make sure any print goes on the opposite side!) and poured my paint in. Works every time. 

After four coats I was able to peel the tape off -- my favorite part -- and look at those lines!:
How to get crisp paint lines

Beautiful! ;) 

While the paint was drying in between coats I started on the wood shelving. The wood was the only thing I had to buy for this project because I had the rest of the materials. I love cheap projects! 

One thing that is helpful when you stain, that I don't think I've told you about, is to open up the wood by wiping it down with a wet rag: 
Popping wood grain with water

This is called "popping" the grain and it allows the stain to really get into the pores of the wood.

I talk a lot about the Minwax prestain conditioner and how important that is too -- I think it's similar to what water does, but the conditioner also helps to even out the wood before staining too:  
Minwax prestain conditioner before staining

You can stain immediately after using the conditioner and it's really easy to apply, so it doesn't take more than a few minutes. 

I went with one of my favorite Minwax stains for this project, Provincial
Minwax Provincial

And with Beauty and the Beast coming out soon, I immediately start singing Belle's song every time I see it. (Cannot wait to see that!) 

I usually use a foam brush for my conditioner, stain and poly application but we were out and again...I didn't want to go anywhere. I didn't want use a good paint brush so I went with a rag, which is always a good option as well:
Staining with a rag

If you use a rag I highly recommend wearing gloves! 

When the stain had dried (I did this project over a few days to allow dry time for the chalkboard paint and stain) I was able to put a coat of polyurethane on: 
Fast drying Minwax polyurethane

I love the Minwax fast drying poly because it really does allow you to move on much faster. Again, I applied it with the rag:
How to apply polyurethane

I love poly because it really brings out the beauty of the stain. 

While that dried I seasoned the chalkboard -- I keep hearing you need to do this and I always have with my boards, but I don't really know if it's helpful or not: 
Seasoning a chalkboard

You just rub the chalk on there sideways and cover the board. It's supposed to make it easier to erase later but who knows. I do it because it just takes a few minutes and I like that it leaves a slightly cloudy, "used" look to the board. 

I hung my shelves with the IKEA Ekby Bjarnum brackets that I had from years ago:
Ikea Ekby Bjarnum shelf brackets

If you use these brackets -- attach them to the ends of your wood first...then hang. Last time I hung one bracket and then put the wood inside and hung the other. WAY more work that way. This time I just put the shelf up against the wall, made sure it was level and then marked my holes for anchors. So much faster!!

I grabbed stuff that we've had in a tray on the counter and started styling. I only purchased the little wood box and a small cutting board -- the rest we had and that's always nice!:
Wood shelves on black wall

We USE most everything on the shelves that that's a bonus too. ;) 

I LOVE how the shelves look against the dark wall!!: 
Wood shelves on black chalkboard wall

I told you here how I think every room needs some black in it and every time I use it I'm reminded of that. I just love the contrast. 

I never wanted to put upper cabinets on these walls because we just don't need that much storage down here. And in our basement with eight foot ceilings I wanted to keep everything as open as possible. It took me awhile to figure out what I wanted to do with this wall because I didn't want to compete (or duplicate) the wood wall I did last year next to it: 
Chalkboard wall with shelving

I shared this photo years ago from Magnolia Homes and it was my inspiration for this project: 
Fixer Upper chalkboard wall

I haven't added anything on the chalkboard yet but we will. I think it will be a fun spot to play around with for parties and holidays. :) 

Next I need to trim out and paint the rest of the cabinets. It shouldn't be TOO bad -- there's really only a few small cabinet doors and then two sides. 

We have a toaster oven and microwave to put out here too, but I'm loving the counters so clean!:
Kitchenette with wood shelves

Chalkboard wall with wood shelves

Here's a better view of the whole thing as it is now. I want to start painting this week and get this whole thing wrapped up!: 
Industrial kitchenette with wood tones

Kitchenette with wood and chalkboard walls

If you have any questions about anything I used, please let me know! This was a simple project that really didn't take long -- the dry time is what you have to wait on. :) 

Here are some more projects from this spot over the years if you'd like to check them out: 

How to stencil a wall

Affordable DIY wood planked wall
Wood planked wall (for cheap!)

Basement kitchenette layout




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The bathroom renovation has started!

It's been awhile since I've gotten down and dirty with a DIY project and I jumped back in big time with this one! It was SO fun! :)  My whole family thinks I'm nuts by the way. Husband came home from a business trip and son came home from school to this happening...they know by now to expect this.  I've talked about the changes I've wanted to make in our son's bathroom for years now. I mentioned in January that THIS was the year we were going to make it happen. My plan was to add a window in the back room first, and then determine if I wanted to take the wall down: But I knew all along I wanted to take it down...I hate it. Loathe. So yesterday I got a wild hair and did just that. Sometimes I'll sit on a project forever until I just bite the bullet and just jump in. I knew I could make some progress on this room and still have it function, so I went for it.  And man, was it fun! And messy! I loved it. :)  I knew there was some electrical in the wall, but

EASY, inexpensive and beautiful DIY spring wreath!

These are my favorite kinds of projects/posts my friends! Quick DIYs that are easy to replicate and aren't going to break the bank. This one is especially easy!  I found this tulip wreath and fell. in. LOVE with it:  But the price? Seventy dollars?? 😳 It's gorgeous but I knew I could make my own.  I gathered my supplies -- this grapevine wreath I had already. I recommend grabbing one when they're on sale (I believe this one was $5 after half off). I love these because they're SO easy to stuff with seasonal items: Then I went to Hobby Lobby because their fake flowers were half off. I grabbed way more than I needed just in case (they're usually half off every other week so I wanted to make sure I had enough):  So pretty!  I used my wire cutting pliers and started cutting the stems off the bunches:  Then you just stuff them in! It really is so easy. Just place them where you want.  I thought it looked pretty with just a couple bunches on there: But I wanted a fuller

A Mediocre Life?

I read something a few weeks ago that really spoke to me -- it was one of those articles that makes you nod your head and yell "HECK YEAH!" as you read it.  It's called What if All I Want is a Mediocre Life and you can find it here -- it's a fast read and I'll wait while you go take a look. ;)  My only hesitation with the post is the use of the word mediocre. I could not agree more with everything she said, and it describes my outlook on life well. But my life is anything but mediocre. The definition of that word is "of only moderate quality, not very good." My life and what I do with it is anything but.  I have a content life. Replace "mediocre" with "content" and I'm on board.  I am not a woman of extremes, I do not always strive to be the best I can be. I do not tackle each day with intensity. I wake up and realize I get to do what I love -- be with my family, work on my home, visit with friends and write to you all. And I fin